Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Flash

See that girl? Her name is Flash Bathory and she's dead at 19 years old. No one seems to no what happened to her other than she died in her sleep.
Now dying in your sleep is a decent way to go, providing it is your sleep and not brought on by some sort of central nervous system depressant that makes you forget to breathe. Flash passed back in September, in Texas. Now I'm fairly sure that Texas is a state were you can find out stuff like cause of death in public records. Problem is, I am pretty certain that Flash is not this girl's given name and Bathory is a common name of choice among the Shred Metal community due to the legend of Countess Elisabet Bathory of Hungry, aka The Blood Countess. Seems the her highness liked to torture people and was from some place in the Dracula part of the empire. If you go to You Tube, you can hear Flash play her guitar. Thing is she is playing the same song in every video. She has some nice licks, but if you understand how shred guitar is played or you are a player yourself, you might not be as impressed as some people seem to be. You ought to check it out an see if you can spot the component parts. I bet you can. Still, I think Flash had potential. So damn young too. If you look at her stuff from the NAMM convention of 07 she is all baby fat (and playing the same song) while this year she dyed her hair really red and started to get a shape. (but not a new tune for the NAMM show) Friends post online about how she was always jogging and eating health food or vegan. I think some music people thought she might break out and become a force on guitar. Unfortunately , she was not advanced enough to go into that gang of young genius that claims, Robert Johnson or Jimi Hendrix or D'jango, Christian and the rest. She should have put off the death for at least 5 years because it would not hurt to have a girl guitar hero.
I went to Flash's web site. It was well done and spiked with hope. Even though her family had put up a notice about her death, it didn't cover up the buttons to check her calender, buy her CD, go to "Myspace" or leave her a message. All that stuff, ready and waiting, but the clicks go nowhere at all. Why am I writing about Flash Bathory? I'd never heard of her until I saw a notice of her passing in an advertisement put out by the guitar company whose product she endorsed. Not a real well known outfit either. Well when it comes to sudden or tragic death, I'm drawn to a quote from a Terry Pratchett story that goes "Man isn't dead as long as his name gets mentioned." Although as I get older the litany of names gets longer, I do my best to mention the ones who may have vanished but need to stay alive in someones heart. You probably do it too.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

asshole.

texino said...

Hey Anonymous, I was writing an article about the tragic death of a talented performer. Do you have issues with comprehension? I recieved compliments from Flash's friends and family for writing balanced and thoughtful essay, if you would like to write me at texino@gmail.com I'll be glad to discuss the piece with you and you can tell me what you don't like. Or if you like, call me at 904-471-3752 and we can talk about what's on your mind. I'll tell you this one thing; if a writer draws a comment good or bad then he or she is doing his or her job. Sure it's easy to take an attitude and call someone "asshole"but that is an awfully flat comment. If you read my piece, I quote Terry Pratchett in saying "as long as a person's name is mentioned, that person never dies" therefore the point of my blog piece was to keep Flash's name alive. I would suggest you do the same.

Jonathan Pfeiffer said...

I thought the article was informative and filled with great intent. Its a shame she died so young and its also ashame someone has to come on under an anonymous cover to throw childish barbs.

Delilah Dixon said...

For one this article seemed like it was going to be nice to say she should have put her death of for at least 5 m ore years is rude and insensitive
This is my baby cousin your speaking of and didn't your parents ever teach you its ill to speak of the dead..
Flash didn't die because she wanted to it was her time to go If we all had a choice she would still be here and not just for 5 years but until we could grow old together and all watch our kids grow up and share thousands more memories...
My cousin was a very well rounded ambitious young lady who could do anything she put her mind to..
Instead of going online and anonymously trying to bash her why don't you let her soul & spirit rest in peace

texino said...

I don't say anything bad about "Flash". I simply made some comparison and contrasting observations about a young woman who should have lived. Saying that putting her death off for a few years was simply a comparison to other talented musicians who, although they died young,they had reached their potential to the point that each was and is still remembered. I am truly sorry that someone would feel that I wrote out of disrespect. Sometimes people just can't tolerate opinions regarding a relative who has passed on, preferring to imagine that person is wrapped in the comfort of glory. OK,fine. Me, I'm just reporting about a girl who wanted to be somebody special to more than just her family and friends. I think Flash would be happy I noticed.

Anonymous said...

Nothing changes the fact that she really wasnt all that great on guitar. Sorry she died though.. but thousands and thousands of players are better than she was.

texino said...

Must be a different anonymous. Well OK, thanks for not calling me names. But wait, you may be right that Flash was not the greatest, but that doesn't really matter. Look at players like Satriani or Steve Vai. Those dudes are very very good, but the can't get air play. Point is, Flash had some style and she might have made it, given more time. Then you have Lita Ford,and that girl who played Michael Jackson's gigs. She could cop the solos that EVH did and more, but I can't get her name to come up. I guess I will write a Flash redux and see if I can get some of these folks to see that I'm just writing about a sad occasion. And that's all. Tommy Texino

Anonymous said...

I was simply suggesting that if you listen to her songs there simply isnt much talent there. The solos dont sound good, the progressions arent well thought out. She had no musical direction or musical sense. She learned some silly tapping technique which she didnt even do all that well and used it over and over and over. I just think its a shame that a girl can stuff herself into a corset and heels and get so much attention when there are tons of other players who are so much better and never get noticed. its just sad that these days music is more about image and style than substance.

texino said...

OK Anonymous #2. I can only find one video of Flash. It seems to be professionally shot, but she is playing the same licks that I heard her do at a NAMM booth sometime before. Now I never meant for this post to bring out Texino the guitar critic, but were I forced into that position, I would have to agree that, if "Running Red Lights" is an actual song, your comments may be valid.
Still, my post is about a sad event and I have to stand by that.

Thank you for writing
texino@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Well i certainly can't argue with any of that..

Anonymous said...

What is the point? The point of view you seemed to be cursed with. Why on earth would you even bother writing about her in such a negative light? You're a sad person with little to no hope. You'll die too, not likely on your terms. Find something else to do with your time, because journalism is not becoming on you. It's not even an opinion, it's just spreading hate.

Tomas Texino said...

Dear Anonymous#12. If you had read even a small sampling of my work, you would have no grounding for calling me out as a spreader of hate. Therefore, I can only surmise this is personal. Whatever your agenda,I suggest you contact me to discuss any issues and hopefully come to a mutual understanding.
Yours Truly, Tomas Texino
texino@gmail.com
(904)471-3752

Dean Wayne Hill said...

Hey douchebag Sarah was my childhood friend maybe you should check your facts before you post a bunch of ridiculous shit about someone that you don't know anything about please remove this for a come beat the crap out of you

texino said...

Dear Mr. Hill, I have a hard time finding anything offensive in my original post. The facts I mention are indisputable; Flash (Sarah) is no longer alive;She played the guitar;She was showing signs of realizing her dreams, but unfortunately, she died too young. The part about waiting longer to die was a tie in to the other players I mention meaning that in a few more years Sarah might have been great. I really wish that she was still here, which is why I put in the quote about people living as long as their name was said.

I tried to write a balanced article based on information published in various guitar and music organs. I am sorry that this made you sad, but please understand that the post "Flash" was written in 2008 and I'm sure much more information is out there now,but I don't write anymore, and after 58 years I have put the guitars up. I have nothing else to ad or take away on this subject.Yours truly. Tomas Texino